Saturday, November 28, 2009

Maggie

*Warning: we might have taken too many pictures. Get over it, we're excited*

Well we did it, we have a dog! We have wanted a dog for a long time and now she's here! Our friend Meredith who lives in Birmingham had a friend who was giving away puppies. His black lab had puppies and he didn't know what to do with all of them so we were happy to take one off his hands! These puppies are black lab/blue heeler mix and ADORABLE. We walked into his back yard and were immediately taken over by 7 puppies. I was immediately overwhelmed by the choice. To help make the decision we decided we wanted a girl, so that took 3 of them out of the equation. I would hold one and like it, then want to look at another one so I would put it down and then forget which one I had just held. I was getting nowhere and at this point willing to take all of them.

Then I remembered I was not the only one making the decision when I heard Ben say "I want this one." First of all, we had just gotten there and in my opinion he had not given the others a chance. Second, I wanted the fluffy one with the bright blue eyes.
But no, apparently this was the one. I told him we would think about it but I really wanted to hold and look at all of them. So he put her down to pick up a few of the other puppies. While he was holding some of the others, this puppy patiently followed Ben around the yard and sat down staring at him when he stopped walking. She loved him. The other puppies were all playing with each other the moment we put them down but not this one. She wouldn't leave his side.


Then I picked her up...and it was over. She had me.


We went to look at the puppies on the way to Ben's grandparent's house in Bham for Thanksgiving. After a quick call to make sure it was ok to add one more dog to the 4 already there we were on our way with our new puppy. I don't think Ben had ever been this happy (except for our wedding day I'm sure...) and we were loving every minute of it. The downside: the name debate. All dog names I liked were boy names and I was fully prepared to call our female dog Javy Lopez but Ben likes the more traditional names. He's probably right, I don't want to confuse her. We both had a few names in mind and we never could fully agree or commit to just one. Finally we just had to pick one...and we ended up with Maggie. It really didn't come from anything we just think it's a cute name. Here's our first family picture. Aww.


Maggie got along great with the other dogs. She was especially cute with the Calvert's dog, Lucy. Lucy was a great sport and very gently played with her.


All that playing really wore her out. What do you expect? She's only 6 weeks.
Maggie would see all the other dogs playing fetch and chasing after their tennis balls and she tried to join in. Too bad the ball was bigger than her head. At least she tried. She seems stubborn. That might not be as cute when she gets bigger...


No story here, just cute.


Maggie during her first Iron Bowl. Unfortunately we lost but WAR EAGLE anyways.




We are so excited to have Maggie, despite the fact we wake up to her whines every 2 hours to let her go outside. We might be sleepy but we are happy to finally have our puppy.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAH I promise that i will pretend to be just as excited to see the human calverts as i'm gonna be to see maggie calvert! she is precious.

Terry (Mom) said...

awwwhhh!!! I'm developing puppy fever as I look at your newest addition to the Calvert clan! Maggie is adorable. Please bring her by anytime!!