Saturday, November 14, 2009

Half Marathon

Well he did it! Ben just finished his first half marathon. I am so proud of him despite the fact that my alarm went off at 6:00am on a Saturday morning. On our way there I was so nervous it was almost like I was the one running! We didn't know what traffic and parking would be like so we got there pretty early. We had an hour to kill so we just did some serious people watching. Everyone was in such good shape, it was actually very convicting. I was just thinking about how much I need to start running when I saw a very pregnant woman with a t shirt that said "Pregnant and Fit" walking towards the starting line. Geez. Slap in the face. But good for her.

I was not sure how I was going to watch the race so my plan was to go back to the car and study after the race started, and walk back up in time to see him cross the finish line. When Ben walked over to the starting line I got a phone call from my parents. They were on their way and had a spot picked out where the runners passed by at the 5th mile and the 11th mile. I got in their car just in time to miss the runners and went to meet Mrs Terry at our spot. I am so glad they called. We had a great time cheering on the runners while looking out for Ben and Mr Alan.

Here is Ben right before the race. I was THAT wife taking pictures at every stage.
Here is Mr Alan at mile 5.
And here's Ben.


I can't believe he's smiling. I would be in respiratory distress at this point.



Mile 11 - Almost finished Mr A!


Still smiling at mile 11?? Maybe because it's almost over...?

He finished!

I am so proud of Ben. He's been working hard for weeks. Now he's excited about doing more of these in the future. I also really enjoyed the whole experience. Maybe we can find races that have a half marathon and a 5K so we can both run. We will see! Caylen and David - excited for you guys to run your half marathon soon! You can do it!




3 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Congratulations to BEN! Whohoo! We are so proud of you - I did two back in college, so I know the energy it takes! Jess, I'm with you - 5K anyone?

Mary Martha said...

Props to you Ben! I was waiting on the news to hear how you did! I'm all about a 5k weather he just isn't what I want to run in over the next few months...here's to the gym! Congrats on the finish!

Anonymous said...

Let me just say I am so encouraged to see that real people can do it!!! Congrats for being done Ben!!!!!!!!