Sunday, January 4, 2009

Days 1 & 2




*explanation of pictures:  the second one is the Silver Buffalo from The Wooden Nickel that we always talk about in my family, and the third picture is our hotel*

Hello from the best place on earth aka Crested Butte.  It's freezing, it's snowing, and we are windburned, sore and tired.  It's AWESOME!  I am about to go into more detail than most of you care about, so just warning you.  I am only doing this because I know several members of my family are living vicariously through me and want every detail.  If I don't write them down day by day then there is noooo way I will be able to remember everything I want to tell them.  I am also hoping to have a few new pictures every day.  

Yesterday we woke up at 4:45 am to head to the airport.  Ben said he had never seen me wake up so easily (I'm not the best morning person) but that morning was the exception.  All of our flights were on time and everything went as expected.  Ben listened to his ipod and I read a book cover to cover.  Sounds about right.  On our flight from Dallas to Gunnison, CO we were on the same plane at the Texas Tech coach, Mike Leach.  Every male on the plane was talking about it.  Ben wanted to give an Ole Miss rebel yell to rub in his recent loss.  Fortunately he kept his mouth shut, but Ben did make us stand close to him at the baggage claim to try to take a picture with his phone.  I felt like that was an okay compromise.

The hour long shuttle ride from Gunnison to Crested Butte is beautiful.  The road follows a river most of the way with mountains on both sides.  We saw a bunch of deer and some elk as well.  We also saw about 100 houses we would love to own.  Yeah right...

Once we got to Crested Butte we settled in our room, which is perfect.  It's a newer building so it's really nice and there are plenty of places to sit/scatter all of our gloves, hats, socks, etc.  If anyone ever comes to Crested Butte I recommend this place, the Lodge at Mountaineer Square.  It's right by the ski lift, all the shops and steps away from the bus stop for downtown.  (hint hint Dad)  Then we went to rent our skis and eat dinner.  We ate at the Avalanche for dinner since we were tired and we didn't want to go far.  Unfortunately we both felt the effects of being in the higher altitude, but we are drinking so much water and keeping hydrated so it's all good.  

This morning we woke up really early to the sound of the snowcats grooming the slopes.  Someone told us that is was -15 when we first went outside.  I'd believe it!  We both took lessons, mine was a half day and Ben's was a whole day.  Mine was supposed to be a group lesson but I was the only one not taking beginner lessons so I was alone with the instructor.  The idea made me nervous at first, all the attention would be on me and I had not skied in 3 years, but my instructor was hilarious and really easy to get along with so I had a great time.  We practiced the cool "hockey stops" because my instructor really wanted me to spray snow all over Ben during his lesson but I was a good wife and didn't do it.  I was really pleased that I did most of the blues on the mountain on my first day back.  It's amazing what I can do when someone is forcing me, haha.  Ben was awesome!  He looked like a natural out there.  He was easily the best person is his class.  I got to watch him come down the mountain when I was waiting for his lesson to be over and he was so good!  I can't wait to take him on a few trails tomorrow!  

Tonight for dinner we went to the Wooden Nickel.  Ben and I both had steaks (Ben's addition - U. S. D. A. Certified Prime New York Strips).  One of the best meals of my life.  It's so fun to go back to places where you have special memories with your family.  I was thinking of all of you guys the whole time!

More updates to come!  Pray for our terribly sore bodies!


2 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Oh my soul! I love the pictures and am so glad you are having a blast. I am living this vacation with you friends! Keep us updated!

Anonymous said...

ahh!!!! i keep checking and checking for days 3 and 4!!! :) jk, you lovebirds enjoy the week. and MAJOR props to you two for being able to do that (ski) for more than one day- i thought I was going to DIE after ONE!