Sunday, June 7, 2009

Our new "pets"


I want a dog. I've always wanted a dog. My friends know that I tortured myself by visiting Auburn's Humane Society on a regular basis. Every time I found "the one". I always named them too. Unfortunately I have already used up most of my ideal pet names like Manning, Riley, Maddux, Turner and Toby. The dog I wanted to name Toby just looked like if he could talk, he would talk like Toby from The Office. I loved him. We could have been lazy together. Anyways, I think that since those dogs never actually belonged to me I can still use those names. Now only if I can convince Ben to like them...but we will approach that battle when it's time.
For now we have adopted these baby birds to be our pets. We watched as the mother made her nest in the stairwell of our apartment building, we saw the eggs, and now we have the babies. I am almost positive there are 4 of them. Ben thinks there are 5 but I have yet to see the 5th one. They are the perfect pets. We get to see them every day and talk about them but we don't have to take care of them. Seriously, our entire drive to church today was talking about our birds. Think we are strange? We do too, it's ok. It's fun watching Ben park the car, walk halfway up the stairs, stop and smile at our birds.
I've decided to name them Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and Avery. If it turns out that Ben is right about the 5th bird we can name him Javy Lopez. I love them, and I love not having to pay a $500 pet deposit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha! I almost fell out of my chair when I read the title... I thought you may have finally brought one home (a baseball player-turned-dog, i mean). hilarious about the bird discussions! :) do you feel like its been a year since we've talked? cause i do...

The Burgess Family said...

Oh, Javy Lopez. The reason I became a Braves fan in the first place. What an honor for baby bird #5 to potentially take on that name. Maybe it even has a bit of a porto rican accent. Who knows!

Mary Martha said...

Hysterical! I too about freaked when I saw the title. LOVE it. Maybe I can meet your pets this week. Actually, I'm requiring it!