Saturday, May 16, 2009

Make me stop!

Ben just left to see Star Trek on Imax with Joe, so blame him for this post.

Junior year of high school I took a personality test on Southwood's Crew leadership retreat. We were at the lake, and the weekend was geared towards getting to know each other better and growing closer. Each person took this test and we discussed our results. Now this test was not the 10 question online quiz that you can take on facebook. This test was very lengthy. I wish I remembered how many questions there were, but it took at least an hour to complete. Maybe 2. I'm not too sure what the test was called but the personality types were choleric, sanguine, melancholy or phlegmatic. The results were all over the place. It was neat to see how many different personality types were in that room. Some people were only one personality type, but most were combinations. Well, I was almost 100% phlegmatic. That meant nothing to me since I had absolutely no idea what phlegmatic meant. After everyone was finished we talked about each personality. We talked about stengths and weaknesses mainly, and it was dead on! Looking at the weaknesses was actually very convicting! I am sure that most people have stopped reading this, and I completely understand, but this is so interesting to me. I am gonna list some stuff about "my personality type". Again, blame Ben for this. He's left me alone to my thoughts and this is what happens!

Phlegmatic strengths:

Low-key personality
Easygoing and relaxed
Calm, cool and collected
Patient
Well balanced
Consistent life
Quiet but witty
Sympathetic and kind
Keeps emotions hidden
Happily reconciled to life
All-purpose person
Competent and steady
Peaceful and agreeable
Mediates problems
Avoids conflicts
Good under pressure
Finds the easy way
Easy to get along with
Pleasant and enjoyable
Inoffensive
Good listener
Dry sense of humor
Enjoys watching people
Has many friends
Has compassion and concern

Phlegmatic weaknesses:

Unenthusiastic
Fearful and worried
Indecisive
Avoids responsibility
Quiet will of iron
To shy and reticent
Too compromising
Not goal oriented
Lacks self motivation
Hard to get moving
Resents being pushed
Lazy and careless
Would rather watch
Dampens enthusiasm
Stays uninvolved
Is not exciting
Indifferent to plans
Sarcastic and teasing
Resists change

Of course I realize that a person can not be defined by a simple test. But this does a good job of capturing some of it! I am going to have to put the computer up now because I should be doing something more productive than looking at personality types. I think it's time for a Target/Hobby Lobby trip.

One more thing: I bowled a 104 last night. Anyone who has seen me bowl realizes what a victory that is. And yes, we were cool last night and went bowling with Todd, Ally, Jen and Joe. Don't judge us.

No comments: