Saturday, April 18, 2009

Memphis trip

After Ben, it was my turn to go out of town. We really need to coordinate this stuff better! My friend Amy lives in NYC but she came to Memphis to see her family for a week. Driving to Memphis to see her is MUCH cheaper than a flight to New York so we decided to take advantage of her trip home! Meredith drove up to Huntsville from Bham after work last Wednesday to pick me up and we started our journey. I love car rides with Mer. Not only do we have the same music taste, but I also just LOVE being with her. She is one of those friends that we could be doing absolutely nothing interesting and still enjoy ourselves.



When we arrived in Memphis, we didn't know what to do with ourselves. The last time the three of us were all together was my wedding, and even then we didn't enough quality time. Amy's grandmother was out of town and offered to let us stay at her place for the weekend. That was such a kind offer! It was perfect for us!



Thursday we were pretty lazy in the morning, and went to a late lunch at this cute Italian place in Collierville Square called Cafe Piazza. I could eat there every day. That night we met up with some of Amy's friends to play trivia. This was trivia like I had never seen it before. I was expecting Buffalo Wild Wings trivia, on the tv screens and people halfway paying attention. No, this was hardcore trivia. You had to write down your answer and turn it in each time. There were even people trying to walk by other tables and listen in on conversations...cheaters! Usually trivia is not my thing. My one shining moment for the night was knowing that feta cheese originally came from goats. My team didn't trust me, and I don't blame them, so they wrote down sheep. I was pretty proud of myself when I was right, but that was the extent of my contributions for the night. After trivia we went to late night donuts at Gibson's. It wouldn't be a Memphis trip without these 5 cent donuts!



On Friday we went to lunch at the Little Tea Shop in downtown Memphis. After fried catfish, fried okra, lima beans, cornbread and the sweetest tea I have ever tasted I decided that after eating Southern food a nap is required. Wow. That night we got to meet up with Adam and Cile Hess for dinner at the Rendezvous. I had never heard of it, but apparently it's famous Memphis BBQ. When I told Ben we were eating there, he freaked out. I love how he knows his restaurants from the Food Network BBQ specials! Ben-I promise to go back with you sometime! After dinner we walked around downtown.

Please take notice of how much of this trip was centered around food?? Typical. We left Saturday after a wonderful brunch at Amy's aunt and uncle's house. We really appreciated the hospitality of everyone in Amy's family! It was so great to see friends! Happy birthday Kurt and Happy 1 year anniversary to Cile and Adam!!


Adam, Cile, Amy, Kurt, Me
Top of The Peabody
(not windy and cold at all...)

Cile, Merdith, Amy, me


me, Kurt and Amy
at Hueys for Kurt's bday
Mer was there with us too, she was just taking the picure

No comments: