Wednesday, November 12, 2008

LOVE Fall

Seriously though, I really do love Fall. My Mom told me today she remembers when I was three years old sitting in my car seat, I was completely fascinated by the leaves and kept on saying how pretty they were. Some things never change. Now an annoying drive over the mountain to run an errand is so much more fun because of the view. And of course I can't forget to mention one of the best things about fall...you get to wear your favorite jackets and flip flops at the same time without people judging you too much. Once December hits, most people look down on my exposed toes. Have I mentioned I hate closed toe shoes??


Ben recently had some vacation time so we took full advantage. First thing in our long fun weekend, we went to a UAH hockey game with both of our families. So much fun! I don't really follow hockey but I've seen the mighty ducks trilogy at least a dozen times so I feel like I am pretty knowledgeable on the sport. I also grew up going to Channel Cats games with Dad (shout out to Jen and the memory of the old man spilling beer in your hair-we were so traumatized). Hockey is just exciting to watch. I know Ben loves it, and I'm sure it reminds him of his lacrosse days. Like I said, I don't know all the rules, but I think the two sports are pretty similar. Both involve inflicting pain on the other team as much as possible. Close enough. Another exciting thing about the hockey game, we saw Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn. Their son is the backup goalie for UAH so they came for homecoming weekend. I wonder what they thought of our wonderful state? We are probably the only decent hockey team to come out on the ice to Sweet Home Alabama...


On Saturday I did some Christmas shopping with Mom in the morning, which was so much fun! Then later that afternoon one of my favorite people in the world, Mary Martha, came to our apartment to watch the Alabama/LSU game. What an intense game!! It was so good to spend time with MM. She has been really busy working for the Wayne Parker campaign, so now that election time is over I am looking forward to spending lots of time with her! After the game we went to Buffalo Wild Wings. Side note: that restaurant is one of those places that you eat there and you don't enjoy it, but then enough time goes by and you convince yourself you like it. So you give it another try, and you don't like it again. Keep me accountable people, no more Buffalo Wild Wings.


After church on Sunday, we picked up the Calvert dogs and took them to Monte Sano. It was wonderful! It was cold, but not too cold after you started walking. Of course Lucy and Dixie (the dogs) were loving it too. On Sundays we usually come home after lunch and lay around watching football all day long, but it felt great to actually get up and do something. It also showed me how out of shape I have become. What a wake up call, I have GOT to start working out before the ski trip or I will be in trouble. I've always loved Monte Sano and even though Ben has been up there plenty of times, it is fun getting to share something with him that I have done my whole life.





Monday was amazing as well. Ben's parents picked us up at 9am and we headed to Lynchburg, TN to see the Jack Daniel's Distillery. We took the tour, so we learned all about the history of Jack Daniels and got to see the process of making Tennessee whiskey. At some point in the tour I decided that I could go my whole life without smelling whiskey ever again and be ok. But still, lots of fun. I am sure that Ben could give you more interesting details.







After the tour we went to eat at Miss Mary Bobo's. Ben had called weeks ago to make reservations, and it was so worth it. It's a family style meal in groups of different sizes, so it was the four of us and 6 others (well 7 including the lady who works there). The lady made everyone introduce themselves and say something about themselves before we could eat. How rough is that?? Forcing me to be social while large bowls of fried chicken, pork tenderloin, mac and cheese, fried okra, lima beans, baked apples and cornbread are withing reach. Needless to say, worth the wait. The food was amazing. I ate more than I usually eat for lunch for an entire week. I almost feel guilty...nah.

Back to the real world now...







2 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Sounds like such a fun long weekend! Y'all are like us - we've explored the Huntsville metro area to DEATH! Our last outing was to nearby Cathedral Caverns - we'll have to get up there to Miss Mary's - sounds like food right up Adam's alley! Oh, and maybe we can all go to a Havoc game together - I've been wanting to go, and Ben can explain the basics to Mr. Adam!

Anonymous said...

love the pics... miss you guys! i am so sad i couldn't be present for the auburn game. i think i may call next time and y'all can just set me on speakerphone the whole time, k?